Sunday, January 23, 2011

My Love/Hate Relationship with Hershey

Dolly Parton just smiled that knowing smile of hers when David Letterman suggested she write a diet book. Sitting there in her size 2 dress with her 42 bra she said, "David, if I did that I would gain back my weight before the ink was dry!" I remember how I felt when she said that. At the time I was in my mid 40s and had just begun the battle of the bulge and I had gained and lost hundreds of pounds in just a few years. Having been a thin and physically fit person for the first 40 years, I was frozen with fear as the scale began to rise week by week. So no, I'm not going to write a diet book, but think many of my readers can relate to my struggles and perhaps, gain a few helpful tips.

You are probably thinking about now that my downfall was Hershey candy bars -- and they are delightful. But no, I'm in another kind of relationship. It was January 1st every year that I made a resolution to lose the weight, but it wasn't until I had to push myself out of the chair with my arms that I knew I was in serious trouble. My doctor had diagnosed Osteoarthritis and being the kind decent guy he is, didn't even mention that I weighed in at 199.5 lbs that day.
The journey to Franklin Athletic Center was yet another failed attempt. My knees and back hurt so bad that I couldn't spend 20 minutes on those cardio machines after finally figuring out how they work. I must have walked past that kiosk with the personal trainers a hundred times before I stopped and asked a question. "Do you have anyone who could help me? I have bulging discs, bad knees, a repaired rotator cuff and I'm old and depressed." As he waved over Erich Hershey I thought, "oh no -- not that one, he looks way too young and good looking." Erich, I learned, had been a physical therapist in the Navy and worked very well with people with injuries.

How is it possible to love and hate someone equally? The hate comes early in the morning when I drag myself out of the warmth of my cozy bed and head out to meet him three days a week. The love is much harder to explain. It's the sweet, encouraging smiles when I accomplish something that took so very long. It's the feeling that comes over me when I'm climbing stairs and get to the top and realize that the heavy breathing isn't coming from me but my clients who are 20 years younger.

Don't think this 50 lb journey has been easy or short. It has taken this amazing young man years to instill in me the belief that I can be better, stronger and younger. You might want to read Younger Next Year, a book written by Chris Crowley and Dr. Harry Lodge to convince seniors that our bodies don't have to age. The wrinkles and sagging skin are impossible to avoid because of sun damage, but your body can become more physically fit. You can still enjoy activities that most people your age cannot. And, you can get your blood pressure and cholesterol down to levels you obtained when much younger.

Top 10 Things I Have Learned from Erich Hershey:
1. Eat every 3 to 4 hours

2. Eat more protein and fewer carbs (especially avoid flour and sugar)
3. Weight training can help your body retain muscle normally lost from aging

4. Cardio is good for the heart and soul

5. It's about consistency

6. Stay away from enablers

7. Positive attitude and prayer can get you back on track

8. Fitness is a lifelong journey

9. I can do more than I think

10. Never give up

Some of you know that I have had some medical problems and two surgeries within 10 days of each other. These health issues have required me to be away from my beloved Erich for two months now. Monday will be my first day back and I'm very excited but a little scared about all the work that it will take to rebuild the muscle and strength that I have lost. But because of Erich I will always have this little voice inside my head saying, "you can do this" and I can!

Those of you in the Nashville area can find Erich at Franklin Athletic Center or just give him a call at 615-426-3742 or contact him by email at erich@bodybyhershey.com. Check out his website http://www.bodybyhershey.com/.

Never forget -- you can be younger next year!!

2 comments:

  1. Well, girlfriend, another great blog! You are always an inspiration to me and I know many others your aren't even aware. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. Just what I needed to read today. This is amazing advice and inspiration no matter what age we are. Hope you are enjoying a lovely Spring.

    ReplyDelete